Fort Wayne is changing: 11 key projects to watch in 2023
A new year means new developments on the horizon in Fort Wayne and Allen County.
So what's happening in 2023? Greater Fort Wayne Inc. released a report on Allen County's economic outlook, detailing a few key projects to watch.
Here's a quick summary.
Last year: Four of the biggest projects were...
- Electric Works: The highly anticipated West Campus of the former General Electric facility opened, including Fort Wayne Community Schools’ Amp Lab, Union Street Market, and Carr Workplaces coworking. Anchor tenant, Do it Best Corp., also opened its world headquarters on campus in December.
- Riverfront Development: The massive $89 million Riverfront at Promenade Park development opened its parking garage and apartment/townhouse spaces, reshaping the Downtown skyline.
- The Landing: Activities and nightlife increased on The Landing, which has been historically redeveloped by The Model Group out of Cincinnati.
- Fort Wayne International Airport’s Project Gateway: The expanded West Terminal opened in March, and work continues on the broader $47 million terminal expansion.
Looking ahead: 11 key projects to watch in 2023 are...
- Electric Works (Phase II): Work continues on the parking garage and residential units. There's also a childcare facility underway, and more construction on the west side of Broadway, north of the railroad tracks.
- Riverfront Development (Phase II): Private investment is increasing on the riverfront. Retail and office spaces at Riverfront at Promenade Park are expected to open early this year. Swiss Re is the anchor tenant. Park space and walkways are also developing between the St. Marys River and Riverfront at Promenade building, connecting Promenade to Headwaters Park.
- The Landing (Columbia Street West renovation/expansion): Be Better Hospitality announced plans to renovate the former Columbia Street West building and turn it into two bars and a boutique liquor store. (Details coming soon!) Separately, part of the building is also being renovated to create 21 new housing units.
- The Pearl: Near the Landing on Pearl Street, the Pearl is a mixed-use development scheduled to open in 2024 with 12,000 square feet of street-level retail space and more than 70 apartment-style living spaces, as well as a green roof for residents.
- Fort Wayne International Airport’s Project Gateway: Set to complete in 2025, FWA's expansion will create two new gates, new jet bridges, an expanded ticketing area, additional restrooms, improved passenger pick-up and drop-off, and more.
- The Lofts at Headwaters Park: The Lofts is a six-story mixed-use development (in the Club Soda parking lot), offering 217 apartments, 15 townhomes, 12,000 square feet of commercial space, and a 651-space parking garage. Also, 71 new trees!
- Manchester University Fort Wayne expansion: Groundbreaking this spring and set to finish in 2024, Manchester University based in North Manchester is building a $20 million health science hub in Fort Wayne.
- New Haven Crossroads Duplexes: Fort Wayne's neighbor New Haven is creating a $29 million project to transform the Indiana 930 corridor with 135 market-rate rental duplexes in 33 buildings. Plans include a three-story mixed-use building that could include a restaurant, coffee shop, “and maybe even a brewery.”
- STAR Bank headquarters: Known as the Ashberry Project, STAR's new Downtown HQ includes two towers at 215 W. Main St. adjoined by a 387-space public parking garage.
- Trine University Fort Wayne: One of five new projects for the university across Northeast Indiana. The Fort Wayne project includes approximately 110,000 square feet of space and will house programs in the university’s College of Health Professions.
- Village Premier: A project to create houses, townhomes, senior and income-based housing options, commercial space and public amenities near the intersection of McKinnie Avenue and Plaza Drive.
Read the full report here.